Friday, March 25, 2005

Good Friday, Terri Schiavo and Grenada, MS

Before the cross we wait and watch an innocent lay down his life. This sacrifice has wider implications, for the blood that is being shed enables a mercy to be extended through the generations, down through unfolding years, overcoming wrong turns and wilful acts, mocking laughter and penitent tears. It brings hope, freedom and peace.
Before the television we wait and watch an innocent have life stripped, starved and dessicated. This act too has wider implications, for the life being taken enables a precedent to be further entrenched in a collective memory. That issues of life and death are now the province of ethical debate and legal minutiae have now been enshrined in our political consciousness.
We have ripped life and death out of God's hands and we have decided that we now have evolved to the extent that those are decisions that we can handle on our own.

Friday March 25th, 2005 - Grenada, Mississippi
Two men made an initial appearance in court Thursday in connection with the killing of an inmate in the Grenada County jail Sunday night.
Eric Bullins, 16 and Antonio Conley, 19 both charged with the murder of Kenneth Kendall, 22; appeared in Grenada County Justice Court.
Kendall was being held at Correctional Services Corporation because of unpaid fines owed to the city......"This boy died for $750," said Catherine Kendall, the victim's aunt, referring to the fines.

Psalm 22 1 "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning? 2 O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer; and by night, but find no rest. .......
14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint;my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast; 15 my mouth is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death. "

No comments: