Saturday, June 17, 2006

Recovered Memory finished!

Here's the story behind the tracks:
"Drake's Drum" - The drum itself is housed at Buckland Abbey and whenever England is threatened by danger, if you listen, you will hear the sound of the drum and at that moment Drake will reappear and rout the enemy - or so the story goes.
"Doublewaters" - The title refers to the place where the Rivers Tavy and Walkham meet, before flowing into the River Tamar. It was one of my favorite places to go - it was quite a stroll but always worth the effort.
"Apres Stroll" - An instrumental actually written for another project which has never seen the light of day. This piece was inspired by afternoon strolls designed to walk off the effects of Sunday dinner.
"20 Minutes Older" - Written with tongue in cheek (and sung that way!) and in honor of my twin brother Nigel whom I love dearly and have no spirit of competition with whatsoever. (...Right!)
"Home" - A song that has been around for about 8 years but finally found itself a place to call home! All the details are accurate as far as my memory serves me.
"A Rainy Afternoon" - An instrumental written and improvised in the wee hours and a chance to play some uncharacteristic lead guitar.
"Dewerstone" - A cautionary tale based on an old Devon legend. I sang it in about as low a register as I could so that it might sound unlike any other voice on the project.
"Eternal Father Strong to Save / The Traveller" - The first melody is the tune of my Uncle Jack's favorite hymn while the second song is a re-recording of a song from the 'Proving God' album, inspired by the foghorn sounding at the Needles, off the Isle of Wight.
"Photographs" - This song was recorded back in 1982 and appeared first on the 'Shooting for the Heart' album. I thought about re-doing it for this project and then decided I liked the original just fine....so what would be the point. It fits the theme of memory so I've included it here. The song itself was inspired by a grandfather I never knew but one that left a legacy of images for us to enjoy.
"Paris Jazz" - This instrumental dates from my college years. It was inspired by a trip to that great city and listening to the wonderful street musicians who seem to hang out on every street corner.
"There and Back Again" - A synthesis of two memories - the first is of my Nursery School experience where; when we would walk to the recreation field in Yelverton to play, we had to grasp this thick nautical rope and walk along the lane in single file; the other is one of those priceless phrases my father (the Squire) was famous for - ' We're going there and back again to see how far it is!'

No comments: