Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christian Music in 2008


I am unashamedly, a born again christian. I write, play and sing christian music; but when I look back over the past year, I am hard pressed to recall one christian album that really registered on my radar as noteworthy. Leeland's sophomore effort was a disappointment. Delirious released what might be their final album to good reviews but painfully little marketplace exposure. I have found myself reverting to older albums in my collection and even replacing old vinyl and cassette copies with CD's. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is precious little innovation in christian music today. When I perused some 'Best Of..' lists there was hardly a group that I would have crossed the street to check out. I know I'm an old fogey...but when did God's people become so dull and unadventurous? Quality music like IONA doesn't sell so their catalog is virtually impossible to obtain here in the States. I hardly listen to christian radio anymore because it's become unlistenable...mostly worship by numbers and non-descript love songs that sound like any artist could have sung them. While I enjoy Natalie Grant, Casting Crowns and Mercy Me - I find much of what I hear to be derivative and cliched.
Here's hoping for something better in 2009....

2 comments:

jnthnmoore said...

Please check out my other Blog MusicMaze for a shout out for two good Christian Albums released in '08

jnthnmoore said...

http://musicmaze.blogspot.com/